Product Information File (PIF)
The Product Information File (PIF) is the mandatory compilation of technical documentation required for each cosmetic product to be placed on the EU market. According to the EU Cosmetics Regulation 1223/2009/EC, the elements of the PIF include but are not limited to:
- Product Description
- Safety Report:
- Part A: Cosmetic Product Safety Information
- Part B: Cosmetic Product Safety Assessment Report
- Method of Manufacturing
- Evidence of compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Proof of the effect claimed (where justified)
- Data on Animal Testing
- Labeling (taking into account the container and outer packaging)
- Data on Serious Undesirable Effects
- And more…
The PIF is kept by the Responsible Person at the address specified on the label (must indicate its address within the European Community) for 10 years after the last batch was put on the market. The PIF should be held in a safe storage location, readily accessible to the Competent Authorities in electronic or other format.
The RP must ensure that the language of the PIF is easily understood by the Competent Authorities and updates the documentation within the PIF when necessary.