One of the main requirements of the Regulation EC 1223/2009, transposed from the previous cosmetics law, is the pre-market notification.
The Notification of a Cosmetic product indicates that:
- A Responsible Person has been designated to the product
- The Product Information File holds all evidence of conformity
- The product is ready from a compliance points of view to be placed on the European market.
The notification to the European Commission centralized database – the Cosmetic Products Notifications Portal (CPNP) is a new element brought by the new Regulation. The portal became accessible to its users (Responsible Persons, distributors, Competent Authorities and Anti-Poison Centers) since January 11th, 2012.
A cosmetic product notified in the CPNP – one time notification, may be placed on any of the EU markets provided that the labeling is in conformity with the language requirements of the respective country. As such, no national notifications are necessary anymore.
The information to be submitted to the CPNP includes but is not limited to:
- Product category + name(s) enabling specific identification
- Country of origin (for imported products)
- First Member State where the product will be first placed on the market.
- Presence of Nano-Materials
- Presence of CMR 1A/1B substances
- Frame formulation
Products containing nanomaterials may be placed on the market 6 months after the notification of their nanomaterials ingredients to the CPNP and as any other cosmetic product, after its own notification to the CPNP.
The European Commission engaged to issue the Nanomaterials Catalogue listing the nanomaterials for which sufficient safety information was gathered revoking as such the need for their notification.
Application dates for Notification to the CPNP (Cosmetic Product Notification Portal):
|Already on the market||New products|
|Notification of products||January 11th, 2012 and no later than July 11th, 2013||Prior to placing on the market|
|Notification of products with Nano-Materials||January 11th, 2013 and no later than July 11th, 2013||6 months before placing on the market|